Home again (for a couple of days)...


Well, this morning we are back home and back to normal life...for another two days at least! Then we will be off to Branson for our family vacation. (The band is contracted to play at Silver Dollar City.) .......Darcy drug Rivie into the house for a few minutes this morning. The pup soaked up the TLC...Darcy says Rivie really missed us while we were away.
A little while later, Rayna wes looking at a book I had made for Darcy when Darcy was three years old. The book is full of pictures of Darcy at the age three and younger. Rayna brought the book to me and declared, "Where is THIS dress, Mommy? I want to wear it!" She was pointing a picture of Darcy wearing her all time favorite dress...the one that Yea Yea had bought her to wear in "Aunt" Fenhua's wedding. I got the dress out and Rayna, ever the diva of princess-fashions, exclaimed with awe as she put it on. Darcy looked up from her dreaded math lesson and protested, "But MOM, that is my FAVORITE dress." I pointed out that since the dress was size TWO, I hardly thought she would be able to wear it again at any point in the near future. Rayna, meantime, though that a photo shoot was in order! So...here are a few bazillion photos of Rayna feeling rather elegant!...











Here is a scan of the page in the book that inspired Rayna this morning:
Darcy was about three years old in this picture. This is the most expensive dress she has ever had. When her Grandma bought it for her, she STERNLY admonished me, "That is DARCY'S dress...you let her wear it ANYTIME she wants to and anywhere she wants to. If she wants to put that dress on and go out and play in the mud, you LET her!"
Thus, it became the least protected, most loved article of clothing Darcy has ever owned. She never wore it to play in a mud pile, but she did wear it all the time to play in...and when she wore it to a friend's birthday tea party and spilled red kool-aide all over it, I did my best to get the stain out, but, when it didn't come completely out, that just made it that much easier for me to let her use the dress as her grandmother had wished for her to use it. She wore it to church a million times (even after it wound up with a faint pink stain) and she wore it around the house even more times. She wore that little dress for three years before it finally got too small for her to fit into any more. And, now Rayna has discovered this magical dress for herself...
(As always, just click on the photo if you want to see an enlarged version of it!)











3 comments:
You made me cry! I sit here with happy tears. Such a lovely story to make my heart ache... {{{kisses all a round}}}
We should all probably have a party dress to wear "for any occasion"! Lovely photos.
I have to admit...it WAS good advice that Yea Yea gave me!
(Actually, it wasn't "advice"...she ORDERED me to let Darcy wear that dress whenever she wanted, where-ever she wanted, however she wanted! Something I would have NEVER, EVER done in a million years if my hand had not been forced in the matter.) As it turned out, it was a wise choice Yea Yea made for me! Darcy (and now Rayna) has cherished that dress and derived so much enjoyment from it over the years...making memories that she would have never had, if I had gotten MY way and the dress had been carefully protected and only brought out for extremely special occasions in controlled environments!
~Monica
(Lisa and Oliver, I'm so glad RAYNA still adores being photographed! I'm afraid the elder two view it as a pain!
Frances, I hope you find a truly elegant dress to let your daughter wear anywhere and everywhere! (I get the impression that you are a lot like me...strict and leaning towards very responsible behavior (which does not normally include wearing bridal apparel to the grocery store!)...but, sometimes it isn't too bad to work a little irresponsibility into our children's lives, I guess!))
(Oh, and Frances, 'least you feel too sorry for my youngest ("Little Miss I Have a Virus So Nobody Can't Kiss Me"), let me share a story from a couple of days ago...
Grandma C came over and wanted to give her youngest granddaughter a kiss. As she leaned near my daughter's face, Rayna declared loudly enough for all in the room to hear, "Grandma, you need to BRUSH YOUR TEETH in the morning!" Poor Grandma C (who did NOT have bad breath) was taken aback and Rayna accomplished her purpose...thwarting her grandmother from smothering her with kisses! (Not to mention humiliating her mother with her incredible tactlessness.) So, don't feel TOO sorry for my little moppet...I think she was secretly pleased with her newly acquired "untouchable" status!)
Post a Comment