Monday, October 30, 2006

The rest of the story...

I know it probably "isn't fair" to go back into my old posts and add more of the story in...but I do it anyway, sometimes! So, just to be fair to any who read the Saturday post before this morning, I thought I would mention that I added another paragraph under the roller coaster photos.

"Blogging" is a bit strange...for me at least. You start out writing just for yourself (or in cases like mine, for your kids...sort of a scrapbook to print out chronicalling bits of their childhood)...but, then you learn about other folks checking in on it regularly too and, suddenly you find yourself writing for them, too. (Like the comment in Saturday's post when I said that Darcy was the very, very short one in the roller coaster photos. If I were only writing for Darcy and her siblings, that would be a silly inclusion.) With the growth of my readership (small though it is), I have experienced a bit of an inward conflict. Part of me (a big part of me) is drawn to writing in a manner much more inclusive of an audience beyond my own immediate family...but part of me cries, "Foul!" at that. It is a strange struggle that I feel inside.

Yet another part of me wishes I could express ME...give words to the conflicts that rage in my own heart...treat this blog as a journal, not a baby book...and be far more personal than I could (would) ever be in a setting where people who are part of my daily life could just casually read what I have written. (Funny how we don't mind utter strangers reading things far too personal to just set into the blogosphere for our FAMILY and FRIENDS to read!) Writing is like that, though. We write to communicate. If we didn't feel the need to communicate, there would be no need to frame our thoughts and feelings into words and commit them to "paper". Yet, sometimes what we feel the deepest need to communicate are things far too explosive to "own" publicly. We want to communicate, but not at the risk of judgment or rejection of ourselves. Blogging annonymously is really the perfect outlet for that, isn't it? But, that doesn't work for the "baby book" format! And I can't imagine having time to do more blogging than I already do.

Anyway, that was a lot more rambling than I intended to do here! This is just a temporary post (ie will be deleted in a day or so) to let family know that the "rest of the story" was slipped in under the roller coaster photos two days after the post originally appeared.

3 comments:

Jean said...

I just wanted to add this comment. If you look back at the pictures of us on Thunderation, you just might be able to tell by the death grip on Rayna's arm that I myself wasn't too sure about her riding that ride! I was so afraid that she might go flying off! Looks like we got something started with her.....Jean.."Uncle Jean"..."Aunt Jean"...."Aunt Lucy"(don't know where that one came up the other day!!!)

Anonymous said...

You're too funny! I was trying to count up how many times Rayna rode Thunderation...I lost count sometime after the fourth ride.

I hope you are feeling better. (I still think your migraine was precipitated by too much wild riding with hyperactive children!)

~Monica

Kim said...

I love it when you write from your heart! You are a very talented writer and it shows in your writing that your heart is big and full of love. Don't stop writing what you really feel - I think if you are able to put your feelings into words that is a priceless gift. I feel you writing about my feelings sometimes when I read your posts and it's good to know somewhere out in the world there is someone that feels the same.