Oh the TRAUMAS of Motherhood!...
THIS is the e-mail I received today from my eleven year old daughter (away on an independent vacation in Texas):
HI mom!
I only semi-miss you! How is Rayna doing? I bet they are turning into
zombies! Hmmmmm... Maybe when I come home I'll have free run of the place
since they're zombies now!!! See you soon (unfortunatly!) Love you!
Darcy.
A mother with a thinner skin might be a bit wounded. Alas, I do not have a thin skin (or thin anything as my eldest would be quick to point out!)! I'm glad Darcy is having fun with her grandparents. I WISH her siblings were turning into zombies in her absence. In truth, they are every bit as rambunctious as ever. Actually, Rayna, is sweet as can be while it is just she and I (relishing the individual attention), but she is a TYRANT around her older brother. The minute he gets home from school, she turns into the bossiest, noisiest, grouchiest little monster I have ever seen. Usually she and he are grand buddies and not prone to fighting with each other...but, in the absence of Darcy, I think Rayna is trying to make a move to be top dog in the sibling hierarchy...bossing Doug and pushing him around way more than she usually does. Doug is retaliating with quiet, passive, massive resistance. Tonight, he ate her entire package of gum...literally...stuck four pieces in his mouth at once and then swallowed them. She was livid. I was on the phone with the business office discussing Rayna's latest medical bill at the time that all heck broke loose. Doug wasn't making any noise (quietly passively resistant, as I had said), but Rayna was screeching and screaming at the tops of her lungs at him...on and on and on. It was extremely embarrassing. I can only imagine what the woman on the other end of the line thought of all the background noise. Oh, the wrath of a four year old whose gum has been stolen and whose AUTHORITY is being challenged!!!











8 comments:
How fun for her to be able to go on her own - I like that idea!! (May have to talk the grandparents into that!!!) I love the email!!
Well, I hardly think those comments becoming to one who now rides Wildfire! :-) And I was just beginning to think she might be up to the challenge of PowderKeg next year. Maybe not. :-) Actually, that is just so pre-teen to early teen's attempt at humor. They CAN get QUITE annoying with it at times! Aaron is still going through it at 15. By the way, have you heard anything from Uncle Fred & Aunt Esther?
Sounds like you have your hands full! Love how kids can be so honest about their feelings! Cute e-mail
*HUGABUGS*
When my 10 year old daughter made a 3 night school trip with her schoolmates 2 years ago, I felt I missed her more than she missed me! So I know what you are feeling
My son just requested last night that he wants a sleepover at his grandparents (they live nearby). He did it couple of years ago, and when asked if he missed me, he said "no, cause I know I need to come back home."
I'm actually glad she doesn't miss me. I would hate to think about her being homesick. And I know how much fun I had on my own independent vacations when I was a kid. I'm really glad she has the opportunity to spread her wings apart from us (her immediate family)...and it pleases me that she so THOROUGHLY enjoys it. I know she would miss us big time if she were away from home too long.
And, I have to admit, that there are enjoyable aspects for me when she is off on her own little vacation...two kids to keep up with instead of three (though I, too, would get terribly homesick for her if she was going to be gone more than just a few weeks). I get more individual time with the other two kids...especially Rayna (as Doug is in school much of the day and normally I am busy with Darcy during that time--she is homeschooled, unlike her brother).
I'll be glad to get the ornery little wart back, though!
Thanks for putting my e-mail all over the net! MOM!
Well, my dear daughter, that is what you get for being in such a hurry that you couldn't take time to MISS your poor mother a bit more!!!
Post a Comment