Sunday, December 03, 2006

Sunday Morning Around the Breakfast Table

Doug's language skills have been leaping forward recently. Because of the nature of his head injury, he has been left with profound language disabilities...then, two years ago, he was thrown into an entirely new culture and had to learn yet another language. I remember it was only a few months ago or so that he wouldn't use verbs at all...just a noun and lot of charading. This morning, he sat at the breakfast table and between bites enthusiastically told about his "dream" last night. (This is one of his favorite speaking forums...to couch whatever he WANTS to talk about in terms of what he "dreamed" the night before. Actually he had bad dreams last night (common for him) because I heard him cry out in his sleep. But, the next morning, he always insists he only had good dreams.) Anyway, this morning, he announced he had dreamed about Eragon (hasn't seen the movie...but, I guess he must have seen an advertisement for it and was captivated by the image of a boy riding on the back of a dragon). In the process of telling us about his dream, he used "was" and "flying". Wow! Verb conjugation is rough and here he is DOING it!

Rayna remains our little spitfire. She bosses everyone around...even outdoing the oldest sibling in terms of bossiness. This morning, Doug made some benign suggestion to her at the breakfast table and she became quite indignant and exclaimed, "By the way, DOUG, don't tell ME what to do. I know what to do!"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

...and your eldest was:
(a.) making breakfast
(b.) teaching a dog a new trick
(c.) practicing a new bluegrass
song with her daddy


Thanks for the updates on the grandchildren! Hope all is going well there. Have a beautiful Sunday!

Anonymous said...

I think we are to hear about the eldest on her blog? and there is nothing there!

Anonymous said...

In the defense of eldest, she was without internet access until her mother was prompted by guilt (after the above comments!) to help her get on line here at the house. (Haven't the time to go wireless internetting abroad these days...also, I don't drive in the snow except for absolute necessities.)

~Monica