On Rayna's heart these days...
Rayna's voice never sounds quite so sweet and innocent and gentle as when it is lifted up in prayer. Usually Doug or Grant pray before our meals, but, today, Rayna asked, "Can I pray when I'm five?" (Her birthday is next Sunday.) Touched that she felt this was an honor that she had to be older to have bestowed upon her, I said, "Of course you may. Would you like to say the prayer today, too?" She happily agreed.
As we all bent our heads, her voice rang out so clearly, yet delicately (so unlike her normal voice, which is something akin to continual enthusiastic shouting), "Dear Lord, thank you for this food. And thank you for giving me my family. And thank you for the beautiful roses Daddy gave us. And, Lord, help everyone to enjoy me when I turn five. Amen"
Her daddy and I had to press our lips together tightly to disguise our mirth. Help us to enjoy her when she turns five, indeed, as though THAT might be a problem!
(Oh, and to all who expressed sympathy over my hair woes...thank you! It has been over a week now and the trauma of the sight of it has finally begun to wear off! I think it probably looked more hideous to my own eyes, than to anyone else's. Besides, now I am beginning to figure out a few ways to manage it that appear a bit more flattering on me than it looked the day I walked out of the beauty shop....or at least that better suits my own taste!)
After lunch today, everyone went upstairs to watch a John Wayne movie. Before starting the movie, Grant queried of Rayna, "Is your room clean?" (That being our understood prerequisite to movie viewing.) Rayna looked up at him (about to turn the movie on) and replied, "Apparently, yes."
Later, during the movie, Katherine Hepburn questioned John Wayne about how he thought he stood a chance all alone against such a large number of bad guys. He proceeded to give her an inventory of what he had...a rifle, a side-arm, etc, ending with stating he had a boxful of cartridges. Rayna jerked to attention and asked her father in amazement, "JOHN WAYNE had Game-Boy cartridges, too?"
Then, tonight at the supper table, Grant overheard Rayna telling her brother very earnestly, "Doug, if you say you're right and I'm wrong, it breaks my heart."











8 comments:
Aww what a cutie! It's good she's learning to say prayers at such a young age! :)
Rayna has a sweet heart. . . precious girl of yours!
You know, I was SOOOO worried about people loving her when she turned five! :-) What a character! You ARE keeping a book of these things to present to her on her wedding day, aren't you?
What a wonderful prayer....you most have felt so proud! ;)
Good grief! I am so sorry. I said love her and I SHOULD have said ENJOY her. Can't believe she will be five already!
Amazing isn't it, the things our children say. I think it is such a blessing to be witnesses to their magic!
CUTE!!! I bet it will be the best birthday! :)
I'm still waiting, and waiting... referral hopefully to come in Mar/Apr?
Peace.
Melissa
LID 10/31/05
babyheaton.blogspot.com
ahhhhhh! What a sweet voice lifted to the heavens, I bet all the angels were dancing when they heard this new little voice.
Too Sweet
Post a Comment