Wednesday, February 28, 2007

You Can't Trust a Five Year Old!

I have long known that Rayna's opinion cannot be trusted. Oh...she is GENUINE enough in her voiced sentiments, it is just that she sees the best in everyone and sees beauty even where there is none! Remember my story from a few weeks ago about my beauty shop trauma...when I was turned into Mrs. Beasley by my favorite beautician? Darcy gave me reliable feedback. ("Mom! WHAT have you done to your hair? It looks HORRIBLE! Wait until DAD sees what you did!") Doug gave me reliable feedback. (Threw back his head and LAUGHED, then pointed at me and exclaimed, "BAD HAIR! BAD HAIR!") My best friend gave me reliable feed-back. ("Ummmm, Monica, I don't want to hurt your feelings, but I don't really like your new haircut.") Even my favorite DOG gave me reliable feedback. (She took one look at me and RAN for the woods. She never even looked back as I mournfully called for her to come!) They were all utterly APPALLED at the transition in my appearance. All, but RAYNA. She beamed and enthused at how "beautiful" my new haircut was. I knew at the time that my youngest was demonstrating a definite fissure from reality...but, if I had had ANY doubt, my suspicion was more than confirmed yesterday morning.... I had just finished hanging my head upside down off the edge of my bed to blow dry extra body into it. Rayna walked into my room a moment after I had stood upright. Taking one look at the wild array that was suppose to be my hair, she smiled brightly and assured me lovingly, "Your hair is SO BEAUTIFUL, today, Mother!" (please see exhibit A!...)

(Oh, and in case you are wondering... My husband was out of town when I was struck with momentary insanity and got half my hair whacked off. When he returned, he felt compassion over my regret and rushed to assure me, "It is cute. Your hair looks nice!" He held tenaciously to that line, until I got used to the change in my own appearance and began to believe him and actually considered KEEPING this style...at which point he quickly interjected, "LET IT GROW OUT!!!"....ahhh...even my HUSBAND gives an honest, reality based appraisal under duress!)


I hated to leave everyone with the scary image above, so, I took a second picture a bit later (AFTER taming my hair!):

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your new haircut is beautiful, but the first photo even frightened ME!

Mr.Brian said...

LOLOLOL thanks for the good laugh. I always admire someone who can laugh at themself and make light of a not so great moment.
I will vote for photo B. A looks like the tenage hair style now days so I guess you are a hip mom.

Anonymous said...

wow monica-thanks for the picture. I'm struck but how you look like my impression of... me! (to look like mrs. beasley you need square glasses

Steffie B. said...

I just got a great chuckle....not at you....with you! ;) Thanx!

Beckyb said...

I like the new do!!!! But yes, Photo A gave me a good laugh!!!

Emmie said...

Like everyone, the first photo gave me a giggle as well
:)

Anonymous said...

Glad I could brighten a few days!

Rayna, bless her little heart, is SUCH an ENCOURAGER....but it is wise not to place too much regard in HER appraisals!

~Monica
PS (JAN, how did YOU know Mrs. Beasley's glasses were square? I thought your folks wouldn't allow you to watch "Family of Fear"!!!!)

Anonymous said...

Glad I could brighten a few days!

Rayna, bless her little heart, is SUCH an ENCOURAGER....but it is wise not to place too much regard in HER appraisals!

~Monica
PS (JAN, how did YOU know Mrs. Beasley's glasses were square? I thought your folks wouldn't allow you to watch "Family of Fear"!!!!)

Amy said...

I cut my hair off the week before starting graduate school. As in, REALLY short. So - there are two separate pieces of evidence of my own insanity: cutting my hair thinking it would look good that short, and going back to graduate school. And I'm still in grad school - at least your insanity was temporary. Anyway, my hair is very thick, coarse, and stubborn about which way it prefers to go. So while I get tired of the time it takes to dry and style my hair when it's longer, I remind myself of cowlick/helmet head hell.

I have to say that Photo A was hilarious, and Photo B was a relief. (Photo A was only hilarious after I scrolled down and saw Photo B, though!)