Wednesday, April 25, 2007

By Any Other Name, It Just Wouldn't BE Don Knotts:

Hmmmm...can't YOU see the resemblence?...














Not too long after Doug joined our family, we acquired seasons one through seven of the "Andy Griffith Show". The kids have never watched any TV (other than on rare occasions some children's show on PBS), but, we do often watch a DVD together as a family in the evenings. The kids were particularly fond of the "Andy Griffith Show" and our two youngest ones would happily announce "There's Don Knotts!" whenever Barney appeared. For some reason, they never called him "Barney"...it was always "Don Knotts"...even Doug could say his name. The first time I took Doug into the local barbershop, Rayna (age three at the time) saw an Andy Griffith poster up on the wall featuring Barney and pointed at it exclaiming loudly, "Look, Mom! DON KNOTTS!!!" The barber was quite impressed that a child so young knew the actor's name.

Fast forward three years... We long ago watched all the episodes of the Andy Griffith Show and moved on to the first season of "Mission Impossible". I was baffled when Doug and Rayna both kept insisting on pointing at Greg Morris and exclaiming, "Don Knotts!" Grant had to explain the connection to me! Greg Morris plays "Barney" in the "Mission Impossible" shows, so.... Well, I admit, it still doesn't make a lot of sense! There is no way the kids can be convinced, though, to call the character "Barney"...to them he will always be "Don Knotts", too! Go figure!

It is funny watching their excitement as the opening credits for each show begin rolling. They wait with eager anticipation to see WHO will be picked for each mission. Cinnamon is their absolute favorite. A loud cheer goes up from Doug and Rayna the moment her photo is thrown down by Briggs (indicating she has been picked for that particular mission). "Don Knotts" is their second favorite. They like to see him in every mission, too!

3 comments:

Mommy Spice said...

Well, I was just going back through some of my posts and found your comment on the soccer video. Then I put 2 and 2 together when I saw Darcy's picture, as I've received a comment from her. Well a big hello to you, and let me just tell you how beautiful your children are. You already knew that though didn't you? Thanks for the comment on my spicy girl's soccer video. She is really loving soccer. I will post more pics soon.

Anonymous said...

we have been watching videos of Mission Impossible-now we can imagine Don Knotts as one of them (not!)

Mic said...

Didn't you mean (nots!)?