Wednesday, May 09, 2007


Cooking has never been my forte. Yesterday, though, my friend Lisa, the kids, and I took a day trip to Southern Missouri to visit my friend Laura (Lisa's sister). We're accountability partners with each other for our dieting and exercising. Yesterday we met together to strategize ...and we cooked Sicilian Roast Stuffed Eggplant for lunch. That is the most elaborate meal I have ever helped make. It was DELICIOUS!

My three kids and Laura's two kids had a blast playing together all day. And, it was good to finally PROVE to Doug that Lisa and Laura were NOT the same person! (Last time I took the kids to visit Laura, the minute Doug saw her, he was certain I was pulling a fast one on him. He insisted to me that Laura was ACTUALLY Lisa (her twin sister and the only one of the two that Doug knew). At the time, Lisa was on vacation in Mexico (that was when we were puppysitting Violet). The fact that WE had had Lisa's dog for several weeks AND that this "Lisa" (whom we kept insisting to him was LAURA) had TWO KIDS, still wasn't enough to convince Doug that she really WAS a different person. So, I was eager to see his reaction when he finally was FACED with the truth as BOTH of them would be in the same place together for him to see. His reaction disappointed me. He just was completely nonchalant about the whole thing (THIS from the kid who spent the last MONTH insisting to me that Lisa just calls herself Laura when she puts a pair of glasses on....kind of like Doug calls himself Spiderman when he dons his Spidey costume.) However, if I was disappointed by his lack of reaction at seeing Lisa and Laura together, I was more than rewarded a few hours later when I witnessed his reaction to Laura's husband coming home. I hadn't even been thinking about how my son idolizes soldiers and policemen (right up there with fictious super-heroes!)...nor had I been thinking that Laura's husband is the chief of police. In he walks, in full uniform, carrying his rifle, gun holstered to his side, and then removes his concealed gun, as well. Well, Doug's eyes were as big as saucers and his jaw dropped in utter amazement. He would not have been more in awe if Spiderman, Superman, AND Batman had all walked in together and greeted him by name. If that wasn't enough, much later in the evening, Laura's husband took Doug out and let him sit in the squad car and check it out...and then, gave him a police department ball cap from his former position with the KC police department. Doug has LIVED in that ball cap since! (As evidenced by the picture of him eating breakfast this morning!)




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

those of us with just a pair of boots to impress Doug just don't have a chance!

Anonymous said...

Just remember that after the super heros and the police and military come truck drivers! You can sure tell Doug is in 7th heaven in the car!

Robin said...

That recipe looks scrumptios.. Please share!

Anonymous said...

what a fun day!

redmaryjanes said...

It looks like all of you had something special to enjoy that day!

Beckyb said...

I am SO impressed - I am not sure I could even attempt that!!! Yummy!!

Steffie B. said...

Sounds like all of you had a fun day! What a lucky group!