Considering Big Changes and House Hunting...
From the lips of our five year old:
"For crying out loud, brother!" (uttered with LOTS of emotion!)
and a short while later she was exclaiming, "Dad, do you know how my horse runs? As fast as lightening and grease!"...and she galloped away on her stick pony!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We have spent the last couple of days in Bolivar, Missouri. Grant had a seven hour interview today with quite a few faculty members of Southwest Baptist University. He is considering a teaching position there that would require us to relocate. He turned down a position with a private company based in KC last week that offered a good salary, but would have been very much like the type of career he has had for the last 22 years. This time around, we are placing more emphasis on finding a job that will be fulfilling than on being tied as tightly to salary constraints as we have been in the past.
We came down to Bolivar a day early. We had done a LOT of research over the internet to find suitable houses before leaving home and we were already connected with a local real estate agent before coming down here. We gave our poor real estate agent quite a work-out....Grant, myself and our three kids looked at SIXTEEN different homes yesterday. I was wiped out by the time we met up with one of Grant's old college buddies (a long time professeor at SBU) for supper. Then, today, after dropping Grant off for his day long interview, the kids and I looked at a couple more houses. I found one that I really like a lot. We have an appointment with our real estate agent to look at it again tomorrow (this time with Grant along!) and also to relook at two other houses that we are very seriously interested in.
Possibly we have put a LOT of effort in for naught....but, we couldn't afford to wait until AFTER we know for certain if Grant will accept a position at the college before we begin looking for homes, since if he does accept a position, he will be starting in just about a month. Also, we really needed to know before making such a huge decision, whether or not we would be able to FIND a house in Bolivar that we could afford on his potential salary that would meet our needs. The kids have been great through this whole process. House hunting is not their favorite activity, but they have been really great through it all.











6 comments:
this could be a very exciting year! If you guys move to Bolivar and we get to move to around Lebanon (we may have to wait a couple of years)!!!!
Best of luck to you in the job hunt and house hunting.
We know that God will be watching over you during all of this.
If you'd consider teaching position in China, let me know! I found an advertisement for one.
I have pictures of Adam helping decide on a house-he was very serious(3rd grade)
Good luck...I think exciting things are ahead for you and your family! ;)
Ummm, Frances, I think BOLIVAR is about as big a leap in faith as we are up to right now! But thanks for the tip about the job in China, anyway!
Jan, if we make it to Bolivar, I sure hope you guys will keep up your end of the bargain and head up to Lebanon! It would be neat to live that closely together---FINALLY!
Thanks, Steffie and Mr. Brian! I know it doesn't sound like a major change to anyone reading about it, but it is a HUGE step out of our comfort zone...but, I do not think we will look back on having made it with regret. I think the bigger regret would come if we didn't take the risk now. (Now I need to keep telling myself that each time I start feeling teary eyed about letting go of our home and beloved woods.)
Post a Comment