Thursday, June 14, 2007

The Wedding is Off...

A few weeks ago, Rayna was telling her father and I about how she was going to have "lots and lots of kids" when she grew up. I felt I had to point out to my far planning daughter that whether or not to have kids and how many kids to have is a decision that BOTH parents must discuss and and decide TOGETHER. She looked at me like she was shocked by my sudden stupidity and exclaimed in a bit of a huff, "Well, I'm gonna be the boss!"

Oh. I should have seen that coming!






A few nights ago, my dear friend Lisa called to tell me that her four year old nephew, Tommy (Rayna's intended), had asked her if he could tell her a story. Lisa had sat down to listen to his story and, this is how he told it:

"Once upon a time there was a beautiful, BEAUTIFUL princess named Rayna. And there was a handsome young prince named Tommy. And they got married and lived happily ever after! The End."



Today, we picked Tommy and his older sister, Caroline, up at their grandma's home and brought them back to our house to spend the day together. During the half hour trip back to our house, Rayna and Tommy carried on a non-stop conversation in the back of the van. Well, actually RAYNA talked non-stop and Tommy listened intently. By and by, Rayna tired to educating Tommy all about Spiderman and moved on to another subject...HER future plans. I began eavesdropping in earnest when I heard Rayna announce to Tommy that she was going to have lots and lots of babies. Then, to my horror, she announced emphatically that she was going to get pregnant BEFORE she got married. But, she quickly realized she was getting her sequence out of line and before anyone had a chance to respond, she doubled back and corrected herself by saying, "ACTUALLY, I'm going to get MARRIED first and THEN get pregnant." At that, Tommy asked, "Who are you going to marry?" Rayna replied, "You!" Tommy shook his head apologetically and informed her, "You can't marry ME because I'm marrying my friend, Maddie." By this time, my head had really whippped up so that I could see both children in my rear view mirror (who, by the way, THOUGHT they were having a private conversation, alone in the backmost seat of the van!). Little Miss Rayna didn't miss a beat. She just glared at handsome, young Tommy and, with an indignant little flip of her head, shot back, "FINE! I'll marry somebody else, then."

The break-up in their engagement has not seemed to have affected their friendship, though! From that announcement, Rayna breezed into more talk about various and sundry other topics, apparently unphased by the rejection she just had smacked up against! And, now they are outside, happily playing soccer together!

I, myself, am pretty disappointed though. I was really looking forward to sharing grandchildren with my dear friend, Laura! Guess Tommy finally realized that the beautiful, beautiful princess is a wee bit bossy and might make a better friend than spouse!


14 comments:

LaLa said...

That is too precious...wish you had it all on video. Good for you Rayna..just move on...he will regret it later LOL

comingaroundagain said...

What an absolute hoot!! I loved this . . . and then there they are holding hands playing soccer.

Emmie said...

lol...what a funny story! loved it! :)

Mr.Brian said...

That is so funny,kids can be so entertaining.
Who knows next week he may wake up and choose Rayna again.

Robin said...

what a great story for a scrapbook. Isn't it amazing what kids talk about. :-) Glad they can still be friends. Thanks for sharing.

Lisa said...

WELL--I'M SURE little Tommy was just trying to make Rayna jealous--and she did not fall for that kind of behavior---all Tommy talks about is Rayna, Rayna, Rayna--and then to try and pull that stunt! Good for little Rayna! Move on cowgirl!!


(I told Gram that Tommy had to have a second hug---and she said uh--after he shunned her for another woman!)

RamblingMother said...

Oh yea, that is funny.

Beverly

kitchu said...

Oh my gosh, that is hysterical! Love that pic you caught where she has her hand on her hip and does indeed look bossy!

C's Mom said...

Hahaha....that drama is so much cuter coming out of the little ones than out of the adults I see it come out of.

Mommy Spice said...

My favorite post reading today!! I love listening in on those kinds of conversations...not that we've had any quite like that yet. However, Spicy Girl is talking a lot about "boyfriends" these days, and kissing. Yikes!! Needless to say, we've had a few little conversations about that.

Deb said...

TOOOO cute! Love the pictures!

Deb said...

ps. Welcome back.

Steffie B. said...

That is the best story ever! So cute! I was just laughing and giggling the whole time!

SARA said...

laughing so hard about this. The break up pic is cracking me up