Fun-sized!
One thing that really pleases me is how resiliant and quick-witted my oldest is. This year was such a new experience for her, entering school for the first time (after 8 years of being homeschooled). She not only was entering public school for the first time, but was having to do so in a brand-new area of the country where we knew no one. On top of that, we had moved from a very ethnically diverse region to a part of the country where there is almost no ethnic diversity at all. She not only was the new kid in school, but the only non-white kid in a school of 600 kids. And, probably the only kid who had never before GONE to school. That makes for a whole lot of standing out at the very age when you don't WANT to stand out. On top of all that, she is so TINY for her age. It is no fun weighing just 67 pounds and being 54 inches tall in junior high. But, Darcy handled all the challenges thrown at her this year with cheerful confidence and grace.
One story, in particular, sums up how she has handled the rough spots she has had to traverse this year... Early in the year, when some of her peers began teasing her about being so short, she tossed her raven locks confidently and replied, "I'm not short...I'm fun-sized!" And, indeed she is! Leave it to Darcy to turn an initially perceived disadvantage into something the other children envy!Well, I am used to Darcy reacting to the camera as though it is a torture device, but usually little Miss Rayna LIKES to have HER photo taken. Not, today, though. She was having issues this afternoon...you know, the "princess is moody now" kind of moment. I wanted to take her photo to show that she lost yet ANOTHER tooth today, but she was not in the mood for a photography shoot (though she was certainaly DRESSED for one!)...
YES!!!...FINALLY A SMILE!!!
(I think it helped that she found out that since this tooth was a double tooth (ie two baby teeth that had fused together at the base), the tooth fairy will probably pay her double, tonight!)











3 comments:
Cute stuff!
Keep smilin!
I have a drama-queen princess too! (who is just dying to lose her first tooth!)
What wonderful children you have!
I'm proud of Darcy too (even if I've never met her) - 'fun sized' - cute thing!
Post a Comment