Legs ACHING from Deep Knee Bends While Painting...
Well, we've been back in Kansas City (or rather Peculiar, MO) since yesterday. We've painted up a storm on our old home, getting it ready for a new sales season. We had had it on the market for 90 days last summer, posted with a realtor. We did not renew her contract when it expired because we were disappointed that she had only shown the house once in all that time. Meanwhile, we had shown it seven or eight times ourselves (with the understanding that any sale would have to go through our realtor) during the same period just from contacts we ran into out in the community with people who were in the market to buy a new home. (Realtors from another company showed the house about five times during the period, as well.)
Basically, the house has been "off the market" through the winter. We decided to sink some money into it to remodel it to make it more marketable. Consistantly, we had received feedback from those who were shown the house, that they found it a problem that none of the bedrooms were on the main floor. We had a contractor convert what had been our library into a master bedroom (building in a closet) and also had him finish off the basement, sheetrocking in a walk-in closet to convert what had been the "schoolroom" into a fourth bedroom. That was all completed by the end of January. Yesterday we came up here so we could repaint most of the interior of the home. Armed with five different colors of paint and array of sponge brushes, paint brushes, rollers, etc, we set to work. We got three of the bedrooms repainted (including half the ceiling of one of the bedrooms) and the family room in the basement and the stairway down to the basement. There is one bedroom left that I want to repaint and a bit of touch-up painting here and there, and then we will be totally finished.
We are going to put it up as "For Sale by Owner" for a month or so. If we don't see significant action on it during that time, we will go ahead and relist it with a different real estate office, bumping the price back up to the amount we were originally advised it should sell at. We can sell it for a lower price on our own...but, it will be challenging to handle selling it ourselves since we no longer live in the area. That is why we are only going to try it for a month or so before switching gears and turn it back over to a realtor.
Anyway, if you know anyone in the market for a home in the Kansas City area, send them to peculiarhome.blogspot.com to check out our home. (I have more to do on the site...particularly taking photos of the interior of the home and posting them...but, this is a start, anyway!)











3 comments:
Hi Monica,
I read your blog and looked at the pictures of your home.. the setting is beautiful.
I am a REALTOR® in the North Kansas City area and I'd like to respond to a couple of things that you said that may help you.
You said that your previous realtor didn't show the home much when you had it for sale with her.
That's not unusual, seriously. The listing agent rarely shows their own listings. And rarely sell them.
The listing agents job is to market your home to generate interest. If other realtors were showing it, it sounds like she was truly doing her job.
In today's market pricing is extremely important and a home has to be priced competitively and within the comparables that surround the home.
I would like to suggest in addition to having it for sale by owner you might want to post it on craigslist.com and postlets.com and backpage.com... all of which are free. Perhaps this will help you in searching for a buyer for your home.
I wish you the best of luck in your journey.
Wow, Fran! Thank you SO MUCH for your perspective and the wonderful advice! .....I especially found it interesting to hear that the listing realtor doesn't often show the homes they have listed. Sounds like I misunderstood the process. The realtor we had DID get it on the internet and even had a virtual tour of it filmed and up on the internet. So, after reading your post, it sounds like she really did do a good job. ...This market is just so different (tight!) right now.
The area we live in was the fasting growing area in Missouri for several years before we moved and I was just used to seeing houses pop up all over the area like mushrooms and sell in nothing flat at ridiculously high prices...so, when we decided to sell, I assumed our home would sell in several weeks! Whoops....guess I hadn't noticed the market had gone extremely soft! I'm sure well aware of it now!
Fran, thank you for taking the time to post! I was planning on checking out Craig's List (per my brother-in-law's suggestion earlier this week), but I hadn't heard of the other sites you mentioned. I definitely want to stick to the free ones since I don't plan on trying to sell it myself more than a month or so. (I don't want to waste prime selling season NOT having it with a professional realtor.)
My pleasure Monica. Sometimes an outside set of eyes helps. :)
When you get ready if you need someone to help you, let me know and I'm sure I can get you set up with someone to help you.
Sincerely,
Fran White
Post a Comment