Sunday, March 16, 2008

Lost Skills

Darcy and her daddy, back in the days when we could actually UNDERSTAND her when she spoke!


Darcy and her dad, today.

Yesterday, Grant was busy converting old home videos into DVD format. A lot of water has washed under the bridge in the last ten years, and our hands have been so full with the addition of our two youngest ones that my memories of Darcy's earliest years with us had gotten a little blurry around the edges. Yesterday was an eye-opener. I realized with shock that Darcy had significantly stronger English skills at age 2 than she has at age 12...go figure! I had forgotten how CRISP and PRECISE and GRAMATICALLY CORRECT and complex her sentence structure was. Here was this tiny little version of Darcy with her squeaky little voice, speaking so CRISPLY and quickly and CORRECTLY...so very formal and proper! She never called me "Ma" or "Mama" or "Mommy"...it had always been a clean, crisp "Mom". Now she is 12 and I am "Mama". When she was two, she always expressed an affirmative answer with "Yes," but now days, she replies with "Umhm", or "Uh-huh", or "yeah"...but, seldom, "yes". Now she is twelve and she prefers to speak in acronyms..."IDK" is so much easier to say, you know, than "I don't know," when asked a question. Now she is twelve and her grammar is HORRIFIC. She uses words that don't exist and mauls her verb tenses and just generally delights in sounding as uneducated as she possibly can. Evidently at two, she was eager to please her mother and impress the adults in her life, but at twelve she is more interested in impressing her like-aged peers! I hope, some day, she regains the skills she possessed as a two-year-old!

1 comment:

Vivian said...

10 years, looks like both Dad and daughter had changed a lot! Darcy sounds very teenager, or whatever I think teenager supposed to sound like!

Love all those pictures with kids in motion. Some wonderful memories.

Good luck on the house!