Coming Soon...
Extreme Make-Over: Room Edition
Darcy and Rayna have shared a room since Rayna came home to us six years ago. In the past year, though, Darcy has begun longing for her own room. (Rayna does not want to be alone, but Darcy really would like her own space and some privacy.) We can't afford to build on a room...but, the girls and I have figured out a way to make two distinct, SEPARATE little apartments in their one room. I was inspired by seeing how the Japanese make so much out of so little space...you know, those cubicle hotel rooms that are a little smaller than the average coffin! Anyway, I figured, if the Japanese can carve distinct spaces out of so small an area, surely we can!
So...we are well on our way to an Extreme Make-Over of the girls' room! We have ordered loft beds that we had picked out months ago, but needed to wait for the sale of the old house before purchasing. Each girl will have her own separate apartment, complete with hang-out under her own loft bed. Their new "apartments" will be totally closed off and inaccessible to each other every where EXCEPT the top, loft level...the beds will be side by side, so, when up in the high perch of their bed, they will be side by side without any walls between them. Compromise...apart during waking hours, but together during the scary sleeping hours...well, not exactly together, but at least the beds will be side by side against each other (in the center of the room) and they will be able to see and visit with each other as they drift off to sleep. Hard to describe, but there will be photos forthcoming.
Darcy wanted her apartment done up in hot lime green. Rayna has always been partial to hot pink. So, each will have their own color scheme, but with colors that will go just fine together, too. I had a blast today picking out paint, curtains, rugs! I was going to save it as a surprise, but I am as bad about keeping secrets as Darcy is...so, I wound up letting the girls sort through my stash tonight. They were both totally pleased! (Not MY taste in room decor...but, at least I was able to please them!)











6 comments:
Sounds awesome! And, what a GREAT compromise!!! Sounds like a perfect solution for both girls!
That is very cool!! Can't wait to see the pics.
i so can't wait to see how it comes out!! sounds very cool..
I can't wait to see the pictures!!!
Sounds awesome - can't wait to see the pics!
Wow!! That sounds very cool! And what a perfect compromise! I can't wait to see pictures!! :)
~Staci
Post a Comment