Father's Day...
Gus became a new father on Father's Day as Violet delivered ten beautiful German Shepherd puppies! TEN in her very first litter! All of the puppies are BIG. Sadly, the last puppy born was breach and died during birth...a large male. The remaining five females and four males are doing great, though! Lisa and Iran are being kept quite busy making sure all nine puppies get enough nursing time with Violet...and, just generally worrying over the puppies! (I shudder to think how much Lisa and Iran will worry over their OWN firstborn!...I think they were about to drive poor Violet nuts with all their stress and anxiety over her protracted delivery. She was having contractions for DAYS before she finally began delivering...worrying Lisa silly. And, then when she did begin delivering, there were more than twelve hours between the birth of the first pup and the tenth pup. Being her first litter, Violet worried Lisa a bit by not quite "getting it" at first...but, once Lisa and Iran gathered her scattered pups, laid Violet down, and helped the pups latch on to her, she suddenly GOT IT, and became extremely attententive to and protective of her large litter!) The pups are doing well now...and Lisa and Iran are breathing more easily, now, too! (Violet is doing fantastic...and, is quite proud of her new brood!)
We were able to drop in and take a few photos of Violet and her first six pups Father's Day morning. (Violet faked all of us out...she had six puppies and then waited half the day before she shocked everyone by having four more!) (Violet watched closely as I checked out the gender of each of her first six pups. As long as we kept her puppies REALLY close to her and the pup didn't squawk in protest, she allowed us to pick them up...but she watched us like a hawk!)
(This is one of the smallest pups...still a bit wet! There aren't any runts in the litter, but the males are noticeably larger than the females. Grant, not a pet-person, commented, "You didn't tell me Violet had GERBILS!" Lisa and I, however, think they are adorable...even if they don't exactly look like German Shepherds, yet!)











3 comments:
How precious! How many are you taking? I LOVE animals and my first reaction is I want one but we are kept quite busy with the two we have and all scattered hither and thither all the time. For instance, Kenny's road trips, Amanda is gone this week working at Youth Camp and me working full-time in the evenings. Plus, we have gone back and forth with Ariel(our 16-year-old Lhasa mix) who has seemed to be knocking at death's door several times then bouncing back! This time has been INCREDIBLE!! She is actually acting more like a puppy and even RUNNING! Go figure. Besides, one big dog in the house is quite enough. I never imagined I would ever have a big dog in the house but I can't see it any other way with Honey(pointer mix). She is such a big baby, always winding up in bed with Kenny & me during a storm! Tell Gus & Violet congrats for me! Or, their owners, in lieu of their not understanding my message. Ten in the first litter is remarkable! Good work!
Awww the lure of puppies is that they are so dang cute until they grow up and eat your furniture, HA HA.
What lovely darling little puppies! :)
When are we going to get to see some pictures of the "remodeling" business. It has been weeks since you got the kids new bedroom furniature! :)
Oh and by the way---we need to change some of the "fines" that are taking place with our new program! Little too harsh Monica....I believe you went easy on yourself where your weakest points are and socked me where mine are!!!!
Post a Comment