Monday, December 22, 2008

A Full Life...


When Grant and I married, I had a German Shepherd named Jonathan. A few years later when she died, Grant insisted we get another dog. So, my little sister and I went to the dog pound and picked out a blonde shepherd mix that was already past her allowable time, she was due to be put down any day. After she was spayed, Grant and I brought her home. Grant chose her name...Shanachie (Shawn-uh-kee). "Shanachie" is a record label for Celtic music. Our vet said she was a couple of years old. She was a real handful the first few years we had her...problem digging and chewing, constant barking...so unlike her predecessor. Once we moved out to the country, though, she was in her element and all her earlier problem behaviors evaporated. She loved roaming the 40 acres of woods and was even happier once she had a side-kick, the pup, Gloria. She was an accomplished hunter...we never had moles in our yard or rodents of any sort around. She kept them cleared out. And, even though she was a friendly dog, still, she was a great watch dog, and always let us know when someone was coming. She knew the boundaries of the property and stayed on it. And, she always noticed when my father-in-law was going out to brush-hog or work out in the pasture and she would be right there, faithfully trailing him all day as he worked. She lived with us fourteen years. We lost her today. We miss her.

16 comments:

4D said...

She is beautiful.

My sympathies...

Kayce said...

I am so sorry for your loss of your sweet Shanachie. Our thoughts are with you all.

kitchu said...

I am so, so sorry for your loss... my thoughts are with you.

kerri said...

Tears..
I am so sorry for your loss ,thoughts are with you all.
Hugs...

RamblingMother said...

I am so sorry for your loss!

Anonymous said...

OH I am so sorry to hear about the loss of Shanachie, It sounds like she had a good life with you.
We also have a GSD and 2 beautiful children from china and I too am a home health nurse
Love your blog.

Happy Holidays

Doug and Terrye said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your faithful friend. I remember crying for days when my sweet little JB passed away. I hope that you still are able to have a wonderful Christmas with your family.

Terrye in FL

Briana's Mom said...

I am so sorry for your loss. What a sweet dog. So beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry about the dog. We are facing the decision to have to put ours down so can completely understand. She was a good dog. Our thoughts and prayers are with you guys.

C's Mom said...

I am so sorry.

Rachel said...

Merry Christmas and happy new year, Monica! It'll be Spring Festival (Chinese New Year)on 26, January, 2009!

Elisa...life as we know it. said...

I am so sorry, what a beautiful dog.

Rebecca said...

So sorry you lost your beloved pet. The sad thing with pets (I have five dogs) is that you know you will have to lose them someday. We just have to love the years that they give us.

a Tonggu Momma said...

I'm so sorry for your family's loss, Monica. Shanachie was a beautiful dog.

Mommy Spice said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. I know what it is to lose a part of the family like that. She was a beautiful dog!

Sabrina said...

Im so behind on reading blogs... But i just read this and wanted to tell you how sorry I am about your loss. I had to put my cat to sleep a few weeks ago, and I had him for 16 years. It's never fun to love a pet you love.
Best wishes...