Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Poker Games Flourish on the First Grade Playground

With my root canal looming in front of me, I was further traumatized tonight, by hearing that my six year old daughter and her peers spend their recess playing poker.

Yes, poker.

Rayna was telling her Grandfather C all about it. He had asked her how school was going and she had replied that it was going well....and that she particularly enjoyed recess.

Her grandfather made the mistake of asking her what she does at recess.

She replied with a shrug of her shoulders, "We play poker."

Visions filled my brain of hardened first graders grouped in a tight circle at the far end of the playground, puffing cigars as they inscrutably eyed their fistfuls of cards. "I'll see your red crayola and raise you three blues!"

Upon further questioning, though, Grandfather got to the bottom of the matter. It seems that she and her friends sit in a circle and one will close their eyes and then try to guess which friend is the one that poked them while their eyes were closed! You know... poker!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, what do you expect from the child "Uncle" Jean for so long and made Kenny my mom??? She is a mess! But, what a cutie!

Middle-Aged Moi said...

Oh, dear me. You had me going there. I thought, "What on earth? Poker AT THAT AGE?" LOL!

C's Mom said...

Whew...I was wondering when she was going to start sneaking into the casinos!

Too funny.

Doug and Terrye said...

That's hilarious! It will keep me smiling all day today :)

Terrye in FL

Nadine said...

That's hilarious and it makes perfect sense.

kerri said...

Whew..
ROTFL!!!!
Too sweet, poke, poke..

Polar Bear said...

That is too funny!!!

I was wondering what she was using for 'chips'. LOL

a Tonggu Momma said...

I'm so glad she's not heading to Las Vegas anytime soon. And tell her to watch out for pokers. Sometimes they get you with your eyes open.

RamblingMother said...

Oh that is too funny! Glad you got that story blogged she will need that in the future!