Some Things Never Seem to Change:
We have had Doug for four and a half years now. For the fourth Christmas running, no present of his has lasted over 24 hours under the tree without the wrapping getting peeled away just enough at the corner to expose what lies beneath. Of course, the violated present is carefully repositioned under the tree in such a way to COVER the fact that it has been peeked in. No threat or consequence has spurred Doug adequately for him to choose to control his impulsive disobedience in this matter. So, this year, I neglected to put his BIG present under the tree (it is still hidden in my room), but his three smaller presents from us that went under the tree were placed there only after Doug was warned, "Do not even TOUCH your presents. You are not allowed to lift them or touch them. You can look, but you cannot touch them at all, period." Less than 24 hours later, all three of them bore carefully hidden, strategically made tears at one of their corners. Two of them were torn sufficiently that he could see WHAT they were. One wasn't quite torn enough to make out what it was. (He must have gotten interrupted?) The consequence was pretty strict this year...afterall, he is TEN AND A HALF YEARS OLD. I'm not putting out his big gift until it is time to open it.
Earlier in the week I got annoyed. I don't even remember why, now...but I was annoyed and left the house to do some grocery shopping. Grant was in the living room folding clothes when I left. Little Rayna came out and sat on the sofa close to her daddy and, gently patting him on the leg, she reassured him, "Sometimes people just get mad at each other, but that doesn't mean that they don't like each other. Things like that just happen, sometimes." So nice to have a six year old counselor in the family!











5 comments:
When the kids were younger we did a couple things. They didn't peek but sometimes they could tell they got what they wanted by the size. So one year I put the name of my son on all his sister's gifts and visa versa.
Another year we used different colored wrapping and no name tags. Another time we had numbers instead of names. I don't know if that would help or you would end up with every present being peeked at.
Hey! Don't feel bad. Jennifer is now 34(as of what I guess is now yesterday) and she STILL peeks!!! Some people are just incurable! She even guessed when we put a box of rocks in place of her real present! Of course, what REALLY rocked the boat was when she figured out her baby shower present and looked all over Kenny's truck for her stroller while nine months pregnant!!!
Thankfully, I have an attic where I can hide my gifts. I also have two little girls, too little to know the gifts are hidden away up in the attic.
To one peeker to another, LOL..
My Mom used to take my gifts and hide them at my Grandma's house,LOL.
This post brought me way!! back to my childhood..
Next year just keep all of Doug's gifts from under the tree. My mom left the house once to go grocery shopping after she and my dad had a row. Now you must understand they never had rows that we knew about EVER. So when she left, I freaked out. I was about 7 or 8 and thought she was NEVER coming home. When she did she was mad at me for being upset because she only went to the grocery store, heh.
Post a Comment