The Last Word
This morning I had several sobering moments. The first, when I walked into the bathroom to ask Darcy something and caught sight of the two of us in the mirror. Darcy, in her stocking feet and her hair pulled back smoothly behind her head, is now exactly the same height as I am with my hair still in it's ratted just got out of bed state. If my hair had been combed, she might have been a micromillimeter TALLER than me. Ow! I have been holding tight to the quarter of an inch height I had over her. My child VISIBLY grew literally OVERNIGHT!
(What I won't add here is that even though I am no longer TALLER than my oldest daughter, I still weigh TWICE as much...really ouch!!!)
So, my morning was already not off to an auspicious beginning. Then, Darcy once again reminded me that her DADDY is her FAVORITE parent. (Like I've done anything to deserve her rejection lately! It's been well over 24 hours since I last embarrassed her in front of the entire world over the internet. Man, can't kids cut their folks any slack any more?! Besides, I was very careful to conceal her identity, wasn't I?!)
Rayna, always the rescuer, raced to me and gathered me up into a hug and said, "You are MY favorite, Mommy!" I was beginning to glow in the exclusivity of her affection when her daddy peeked around the corner, bits of shaving cream still on his face as he peered at his youngest daughter with a sad-puppy-eyed expression. That's all it took! He didn't even have to utter a single word of protest. Rayna was falling all over herself to correct her error and announce, "YOU'RE my FAVORITE, too, Daddy! You and Mom are both my FAVORITES!" Well, so much for my corner on the "favorite" market...I had had my place in the sun for all of 10 seconds out of 13 years of parenthood! Children are so fickle. Glory so fleeting.
On a mission, I peeked into Doug's room and coached him, "I'm YOUR favorite, aren't I?" Not looking up from his Nintendo DS game or even hearing what I had said (I am sure!), he mumbled a monotone "yes". At least I have ONE child who is well trained! Except, that, at that moment I realized the shirt he was wearing looked an awfully lot like the shirt he wore to school YESTERDAY, right down to the spilled food marks near the collar. Now, mind you, on TUESDAY morning, I caught him wearing MONDAY's shirt and had to instruct him to take it off and PUT IT IN THE DIRTY CLOTHES AND GET A CLEAN SHIRT OUT OF YOUR DRAWER! And, actually, on Wednesday morning I noticed he had on TUESDSAY'S shirt and again instructed him that at night the clothes you remove are to go in the DIRTY CLOTHES HAMPER never to be touched by you again until they have been WASHED. And, on Thursday morning I caught him wearing WEDNESDAY'S shirt. So, why it surprised me this morning to see him wearing yesterday's shirt is more a statement about my feeble-mindedness than anything else! I asked him, "Where did you get THAT shirt?" He admitted he had retrieved it from his clothes hamper. (Maybe I should just be rejoicing that he has finally learned to put the clothes IN the hamper rather than dropping them on the floor two feet from the hamper?) I again explained the purpose for a dirty clothes hamper and introduced him to his two dresser drawers filled to the brim with CLEAN shirts. And, this time I relieved him of his Nintendo DS so that his mind could be clearer the remainder of the morning.
After Doug was looking spiffy in his CLEAN shirt and had nothing to do (it is horribly boringly dull to be stranded without your Nintendo DS in the mornings), I thought it might be a great time for some Mother/Son time...since I am his favorite parent and all. So, I patted the spot on the sofa next to me and invited Doug to sit down with me. I thought we could just chat and enjoy each other's company. Doug sat down and immediately bounced back up again, suddenly remembering that he needed to WASH HIS FACE AND BRUSH HIS TEETH. This child has never voluntarily washed his face or brushed his teeth in ten years...but just the thought of having to sit next to his mother and chat was enough to drive him such desperate measures! So much for me being my son's favorite. I could read the writing on that wall!
So, it is understandable that I was moping about in utter dejection about 15 minutes later as my three children assembled at the front door to be driven to school by their favorite parent. Rayna, dear that she is, fell for my shameless bid for favoritism by changing her stance once more and declaring with heartfelt sincerity, "You ARE my favorite parent, Mommy!"
To which Darcy replied, "Dad's MY favorite!"
So, Rayna felt compelled to stand up for me and she announced with even deeper sincerity, "Well, Mommy is MY favorite!!!"
I might have begun to warm in the glow of her words, except for Darcy's quick retort,
"I've had more experience. I KNOW the right choice!"
Well, that sort of trumps all arguments. She's had more experience so she KNOWS the RIGHT choice!
Doug, was diplomatically staying as far away from the spirited argument between his sisters as any intelligent man would!











11 comments:
Parenthood isn't easy is it!
Geez kids!
Isn't it just a BIT pathetic when "grown-ups" put children in this predicament????? You guys are just to funny! But...this I know...I will ALWAYS be their favorite Uncle Jean!!!! lol
Oh dear. I don't think I'll ask the kids their favourite....I'm afraid of that answer.
And I hear you on the dirty clothes thing. Cecil is FOREVER going out and about with dirty clothes. Like he has NO CLEAN ones in his drawer or something! ARG!!!!
Yup, Janet! I don't know why the smelly clothes out the hamper FEEL nicer than the fresh clean ones in their drawer!
Just a quick post script...I hope everyone reading this post realizes that there was not the least bit of hurt feelings at not being the "favorite"! Our family loves teasing and loves humor. Yesterday morning, as I "sought" to be at least SOMEONE'S favorite and failed miserably was one of the most delightful mornings I've had in a long time. It was just so much fun to play and joke like that during a time that so often is rushed and tense.
Honestly, if there WERE a favorite parent (which there isn't!), I would WANT it to be Grant. I remember how horrible it was when we first got Darcy and she utterly rejected her father while clinging for dear life to me. Thankfully, that was a brief phase and she soon became totally a Daddy's girl and will be one forevermore!
I deeply treasure my children's love for me, but I have never depended upon it. That is what feels balanced in my own heart.
Far more important to me than whether my children "feel" love for me or not is whether they are firmly attached and deeply rooted into our family and KNOW without a shadow of a doubt that each of them are treasured and loved more than anything or anyone else by their father and I. My heart's deepest yearning is that each one of my children feel belonging...complete, total, utter belonging. Darcy, Doug, and Rayna BELONG to Grant and I...entrusted to us by God. They are our children...a piece of us. We love them more than life itself.
Oh...and dear cousin, Jean, you will ALWAYS be the favorite UNCLE!
For those of you not in the know, Rayna (a tease, herself) took to calling Jean, "Uncle" Jean when she was quite small, yet old enough to realize that 'uncle' is for guys whereas 'AUNT' is for women. She just called Jean that to get a rise out of her, and it worked! So, Jean was stuck forevermore as 'Uncle Jean' out of sheer orneriness!
I have a feeling Jean gets as much delight out of being snubbed as "uncle" as I do out of never winning at the "favorites" contest!
Well, Monica, we are even as this time YOU let the cat out of the bag. Yes, I do delight in that. Your children are just about right up there with my very own grandchildren in my heart. I also treasure their love(I know..not you Darcy! :-) ) also and having been priveleged to be part of their lives, even though a small part. How exciting it was to be at the airport when the girls came home with you and when we FINALLY got to come down and meet Doug the first time! And, to the rest of you, even Darcy even though she is a teenager and too cool..you all know the drill but we aren't supposed to know that. I think my husband and I won Doug completely over when we brought the big truck down and gave him a ride for his birthday. And, talk about Rayna being a tease, remember the time she "broke" her leg and was going to die? She is just too funny! I'll stop now but yes, I do delight in their(and your) teasing!
watch out Jean-Eric thinks HE is the favorite uncle.
NOPE! :-)And, he can never be the "uncle" that I am. :-)
Quick! Scroll down to the post just below this (Jan. 08) and then RUN-do Not walk--RUN to your nearest library. Grab the Jan.19, 2009 edition of Time magazine. On page 16 is a short news article that you need to read as quickly as possible. (If you can't find page 16 it is the page titled "Verbatim". The newsflash is about midway on the page. Just wanted to warn you of possible impending possiblities! Grannygreenweed
Okay, Mom...what on earth are you talking about? I thought your comment was a spammer and I almost deleted it before I saw the signature "Granny Greenweed". Good thing you signed your comment or it would have been history!
Can you just TELL me what the news flash is? I don't have any Time magazines lying about!
You are absolutely hilarious! I love the way you write, I feel like you are sitting right next to me having a conversaiton with me :)
Hope you're not away from the computer too long...I will miss you
Terrye in FL
Post a Comment