Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Snow Clogs

One morning recently, it was 22 degrees (F) outside and THIS is how my oldest daughter was dressed for school. Hmmm.... dressing inappropriately for the weather has been a chronic problem with both of my daughters (youngest again wore SANDALS to church last Sunday), but, at lease I have discovered that it isn't just MY daughters who show a distinct lack of logic when it comes to apparel in the winter... Monday evening we had an ice storm that continued on through all of Tuesday. Tuesday was a "snow day" for the kids. Of course they were excited to be off from school. The three kids went to SBU with Grant since we both had to work. They spent the morning entertaining themselves quietly in his office while he taught his classes. They hadn't been home more than maybe a minute, before Darcy was begging to go to a friend's house about a mile from our home. A few hours later, Darcy and her friend had talked us into picking them both up and bringing them back to our house to spend the night (since it had already been announced that school was to be canceled for Wednesday, as well). Driving over the thick layer of ice and through heavy sleet, quickly turning to snow, I was appalled when Darcy's friend came to the car wearing...CLOGS!!! When I asked her, "Aren't your feet going to be COLD in those? The snow IS accumulating..." She looked at me like I was a typical clueless parent and patiently explained to me that THESE clogs had a "warm, fuzzy lining". Oh...yeah...THAT makes it all good...never mind your soon to be wet, frost-bitten, frozen heels and ankles!!! It must be something about being thirteen!

8 comments:

Sabrina said...

UH OH! I'm 32 and I hate wearing socks. Even in the winter, I can't stand to have my feet covered. Around my house it's flip flops or barefeet. I wish I could wear sandals to work!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Guess that just goes to prove you are of the YOUNGER generation!

(0:

C's Mom said...

Okay, I admit it. I wear clogs in the winter too.

Nadine said...

We had an ice storm last night. It was 19 this morning and thick ice was on the car. No fun at all.

My daughter didn't like pants and would only wear skirts or dresses - so winter time in NY had to put pants on under the dress.

Anonymous said...

Don't feel bad, Monica. This kind of weather I have on a T-shirt under my sweatshirt, a pair of jeans(if it's REALLY cold, a pair of knit pants on under them), heavy socks AND my bootie slippers! I HATE cold weather. The only good point to my February is I share the date with Laura Ingalls Wilder. Swore I'd NEVER have children in the winter and wound up with one November and two December!

Vivian said...

I know our weather here is no comparisom to yours, but Henry still goes to school in a T shirt, and shorts if I let him. It's sometimes in the 40s in the morning and he claims that he's never cold. Me, sweater and coat, every day.

Truly Blessed said...

There is just something about being 13 years old -- it's a whole lot like being three!

She looks cute, though, and isn't that what really counts in the 8th grade?

RamblingMother said...

G totally does that but I still have some control for now anyway!