Snow Snake
Well, I guess I owe my dear friend an apology... You see, a mere week ago she and I were hiking together through some exceptionally heavy undergrowth, deep in the woods, when she commented rather nervously, "Do you think it is a good idea to be walking through here? There might be snakes..." I had laughed so hard I nearly fell over and made some quick retort to her agreeing that we should be careful, after all, one of those snow snakes might get us!
Well, today, a mere seven days later, (after a week of heavy ice storms and snow) guess what Darcy found happily sunning itself? A SNAKE! Which just attests to what a beautiful day it was today...a snake out in JANUARY!!! It was a balmy 60 degrees at the time and this snake was taking full advantage of our fresh thaw. I was surprised at how LIVELY this snake was. I was expecting it to be sluggish, but it was quite lively...and not a bit timid, either. As I advanced more closely on it to get just the right camera angle, the snake advanced on me...as though as curious about me as I was about it! It got quite close to the camera and flicked it's tongue curiously.
(Of course, in my defense, seven days ago it was TWENTY degrees outside...not SIXTY!)











15 comments:
EEWWWW!!!!! Monica, do you even know what KIND of snake that was??? I am SERIOUSLY questioning your sanity now! Yuucchh!! What if it had been poisonous? And....no, I do NOT like snakes! I'll pray for you!
eeek! yowsers!
u gotta admit though, it's a beautiful looking snake!
I once stepped on a snake. Yuck! You wouldn't see me get that close. No way. No how. Eewww....
But it was such a pretty, PERSONABLE snake!!!
And, no...I don't know what kind it was. My father-in-law said he thought it was a black snake, even though it's coloring was a lot lighter than black snakes usually are.
And I didn't pick up the BITING end. Used to all the time in my younger days...but even a nonvenomous snake bite is unpleasant. (The bite, itself, doesn't hurt, but they have a propensity for getting badly infected...guess snake teeth are pretty bacteria-laden, maybe!)
Monica you are more woman than me. I would never in a million years pick up a snake.
I'm not sure it's anything to do with being more woman...maybe a little mental???? And..whoopee you didn't pick up the biting end...that just left the biting end more freedom to bite!!! AND...pretty and personable should NEVER be in the same sentence as snake!!! Again...eewww! My hairs are just standing on end now! This is one of those rare moments when I really do wonder about you girl. lol
Wow! Pretty snake (although I wouldn't have picked it up all by myself).
It was quite warm here today too - wonderful!
Well, I never thought of this...someone on my other blog saw the last photo of me holding the snake part way up by it's tail and surmised that I had KILLED the poor thing. Just to set the record straight (one this blog and that one!), I only held it up to see how long it measured...and then let it go back to sunning itself on the same rocks it had started out on. The snake was not agitated at having been briefly held up and didn't feel threatened enough to hide...on the contrary, it just leisurely moved down a rock or two and went right back to doing what it was doing before I had come along...happily sunning itself.
I'm getting a bit faint just looking at the pictures, particularly the one of you picking up that really really long snake. Gives me the heebie-jeebies! Snakes are things that nightmares are made of, in my opinion.
So....how long was it???
Close to five feet!
AND YOU HELD HIM??!?!?!?!? Or was it a her??? Knowing you, you would know!
Actually, Jean, I have not checked the sex of a snake in 20 years! I know HOW, it just isn't pleasant for the snake (their parts are hidden inside)...so, I don't know whether it was a he or a she!
I KNEW you would know! Only you, Monica!
Post a Comment