Living in a Small Town
Small town living definitely agrees with me! I just love the connectedness of it. We can't go out without running into people we know...and, even the STRANGERS are familiar! The curly headed little toddler that I enjoyed watching as I ate lunch alone at Jasmine's last Tuesday, I saw again a few days later at Wal-Mart.
A week ago, Rayna, Doug, and I admired five wiggly, adorable, free puppies in the grassy area at Wal-mart. I fell in love with the fat black one with brown paws and light blue eyes. They were blue-heeler/lab mix. So cute!!!
We had Ransom in the car with us at the time, and Rayna (totally serious) suggested we could trade Ransom for the little black puppy with the blue eyes. Appalled, I asked her, "Why would you want to trade RANSOM?" She replied, "Because THAT puppy has BLUE eyes like my Daddy!"
A few days ago Rayna, Doug, Ransom and I were at the park. Along came two very familiar looking puppies. Sure enough, they were two of the five pups of that litter that had been given away at Wal-Mart. I recognized the dalmation marked pup as the one the five year old little boy giving the pups away had called "Sparky" and had quickly informed us, "THAT one, Sparky, is MINE!" I had looked up at his dad and asked hopefully, "Does he get to keep one?" The dad had replied, "We'll see. If one is left over, I guess we will keep it, but if they all go, they all go." So, it was a bittersweet moment when I saw "Sparky" (now named "Chloe") frolicking in the park with her brother "Charlie". I had hoped the little boy would get to keep Sparky. (They were even giving away the mother dog. They were moving and there wouldn't be room for her or the pups at Mom's house, but Dad had said whatever dogs they couldn't give away, he would keep at his house for his son. I had really hoped the little boy would get to keep his Sparky.)
Talking with the two teenagers who now owned Chloe (Sparky) and Charlie, I found out where the little black pup with the blue eyes wound up, as well as one other pup from the litter. Connectedness. Even strangers aren't strangers when you live in a small town!











No comments:
Post a Comment