Wednesday, May 13, 2009

One Child's Embarrassment is Another's Excitement


Well, one child's embarrassment IS another child's excitement. Of course it was DARCY I embarrassed when I was pulled over for speeding right in front of her middle school literally SECONDS after I had dropped her off. She had mentioned as we neared her school that she needed money today, and, feeling the time crunch, I was busy internally calculating whether I would be able to dash back home and grab the money for her and get back before her tardy bell rang, or not. My thoughts were interrupted by the quick blast of the police siren. And there I was, well within view of Darcy and all her friends as they waited for the front doors of the school to be unlocked.

Darcy might have found it embarrassing and I definitely found it extremely embarrassing, but to Doug, it was a wonderful adventure...a day brimming with excitement! He was going on and on and on in the backseat as I dug for my license. Only slowly did it dawn on me WHAT he was saying/singing...."Bad boys, Bad boys! Whatcha goin' do when the cops come for you? Bad boys, Bad boys! Whatcha goin' do when they come for you?" Irritated, I admonished him to quit singing. As the police officer went back to his vehicle to run my license, Doug asked hopefully, "Go to jail? Go to jail, Mom?!"

Fortunately I was not hauled off to the Polk County Pokie...and my two youngest children were not retrieved by DFS. In fact, I was let off without even a ticket. Maybe the officer felt I had already suffered enough!

2 comments:

moreena said...

This is the funniest thing speeding ticket story I've ever read!

Anonymous said...

I loved this story!! It was hillarious!! As I was reading I could hear Doug singing the song in my mind and was laughing out loud.