Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Last One Out of the Water



When the kids' cousin, Annika, was here for a visit, we took the kids and the dogs (our dog Ransom and Anni's dog, Cleo) to Pittsburg to swim in the lake. It was a cool day and the water was FREEZING, but that didn't dampen the three young children's enthusiasm! Annika, Rayna, and Doug insisted on SWIMMING rather than just wading. Eventually, Annika and Rayna decided it was too cold and left to go exploring the park and swinging, instead--but, Doug begged to get to stay in the water. He continued playing alone there for another half hour or so. He'd probably STILL be there if I hadn't eventually insisted he come out and warm up! That kid LOVES water. I remember when he first came home to us, at the age of six, he insisted he KNEW how to swim....right!...I soon discovered my new son sank like a ROCK...but, having no FEAR of water, he was forever forgetting and winding up in the DEEP end of the pool. It was exhausting having to watch him like a hawk and even then, losing sight of him for just a second--long enough for him to dash into the deep end and sink like a rock. No matter how many times I pulled that child off the bottom of the pool, over his head and sinking helplessly, he STILL had not a trace of fear or even sensible CAUTION in the water. We also have spent the last FIVE years TRYING to teach him to CLOSE HIS MOUTH when he goes under water. He dunks his head below the surface with his mouth wide open and then comes up coughing and spluttering ...and not the least bit discouraged! He LOVES the water!...even when it is muddy and freezing cold!

I love how his hair is sticking up Alfalfa style in this photo!

No comments: