Friday, February 26, 2010

Rayna's Day...

Yesterday was Rayna's eighth birthday. All three kids always automatically assume that they get to have two or three friends over for a sleep-over in celebration of each birthday, so, I was surprised this year in the weeks leading up to Rayna's birthday when she never once mentioned having a sleep over or even a party. So, we didn't have one. But, I thought that since she didn't have a party this year, I would surprise her with a Mother-Daughter Day. She had no idea I had anything planned. This morning, the day after her birthday, I loaded all three kids up in the car to take them to school. I dropped Doug off first and Darcy second, as usual, but then I drove right on past the turn to Rayna's school. At first she thought I had just been distracted by the line of thirty or so tractors being driven down the highway in the lane opposite ours, by as many high school students. I guess it was "Tractor Day" at the high school. But, when I missed my turn to turn around, the gig was up and the backseat was filled with happy squeals of "I'm not going to school today! I'm not going to school today!!!"

I replied, "I thought we might have a Mother-daughter day and go to the zoo together." Rayna exclaimed, "I saw a sign to the Zoo when Daddy and I had our Father-daughter day!" Then, she went on to add, "The most wonderful thing in the whole universe...the thing I like better than anything else, are Daddy-daughter days and Mother-daughter days!!!"

First we went home and made a sock monkey together. Rayna did all the cutting and stuffing and I did the sewing. Then we popped into the college and took Grant out to an early lunch. Rayna chose Captain D's...and she had the shrimp trio platter. Then she and I headed on down to Springfield and spent the next three hours or so hanging out at the zoo and taking pictures. We finished the day out with a bit of shopping at the Zoo gift store and an ice cream at DQ and just a bit more shopping at WalMart. Rayna bought some sparkly lip gloss, some body spray of the same scent her sister uses(!), and a watch (analog) with some of her birthday money.

(Rayna was delighted this morning when her big sister took the time to put her hair in a "messy bun"...and, then, two seconds after arriving at the zoo, Rayna found a large feather dropped by one of the brown females and she popped it into her own hair and wore it happily the rest of the day!!!)


















No comments: