Solitude
Monica Cochran posted to facebook:
Entering my second day of solitude...
Grant and all the kids left for KC at 7am yesterday morning to be with Grant's parents because Dad is in the hospital. I couldn't join them because I had my final exam in history to take at 10am and a doctor's appointment with an ENT specialist at 2:15 that I was hesitant to cancel. They were on an early time-table thinking Dad would be released that morning and would be needing a ride home from the hospital. He didn't get to come home yesterday, afterall, but, hopefully will get to, today. He's had a really rough time of it, but seems to be doing better now.
Meanwhile, I found myself, after my afternoon appointment was finished, just rattling around in a strangely quiet, empty house. It was awful! Which surprised me because I was always very good at living alone. I ended up running all sorts of errands--just to fill the time. The last errand I ran was up to the SBU bookstore to pick up some of the books required for my "Young Adult Literature" class this Fall. That wound up being a very good idea! I came home, dug out some comfort food (yummy left-over casserole that Darcy had made the night before), got a cold Pepsi, and curled up in my recliner with "The Giver" and read it cover to cover without a single interruption! Deliciously decadent of me!!! Then, about 1am, I put my iPod on the speakers (instead of privately listening through ear buds like I normally do as I am falling asleep) and cranked up my favorite station out of Taiwan with no kids around to complain about the Chinese language spilling forth(!) and melted my favorite wax in the scent warmer with Grant not there to ask, "What's stinking?" and considered bringing my dog inside for the night...but, surprisingly, decided against that. You would think I would be in hog heaven. Instead, I just was baffled...I kept thinking, "Wow! Was it THIS LONELY those ten years I lived by myself before Grant came along?" and I went to sleep so happy that my family will be back soon.











No comments:
Post a Comment