Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Christmas Day Photo...

We spent the afternoon and evening of Christmas Day with Grant's side of the family. His KC sister's family, his Texas sister's family, and our own family all met at his parents' home to celebrate Christmas together. While we were all together, we took a long overdue family photo out in the front yard. The last time we took a photo of the whole group was at least four years ago, because it was before either Rayna or Doug had joined the family. Mom C has had a poster-sized framed photo of the group (minus Doug and Rayna) up on her wall for years now. A few years ago, she gave up on waiting for an updated photo and updated the existing photo herself, by gluing in cut-out images of her two youngest grandchildren! It looks a bit odd!!! (No offense, Mom!) Needless to say, we are way, way overdue for a new family photo. And, we managed to grab this one on Christmas Day while everyone was together!

We also got to see our dear friend "John" (Wei Z.) on Christmas! He drove up from Oklahoma City. I think this was probably the first Christmas he has ever spent with an American family. John arrived about 15 minutes after we had taken the family photo and JUST AS we were all tearing into our presents. Wrapping paper was flying everywhere. It is quite a chaotic scene every year when we have all fifteen of us crowded into Mom and Dad C's living room and everyone is opening presents all at once. The kids get particularly exuberant. John weathered it well...but, I had to wonder if he wasn't a bit appalled by all the frenic activity! John politely held his own gift until he could quietly question whether or not it would be proper to open it just then. Assured that that was quite proper, he did so. I wish my children would take some cues from John and be a bit more restrained! But, they are TOTALLY Americanized...even Doug, who has only been here a couple of years. And they are TOTALLY KIDS....guess there is time enough for them to be more polite when they grow to be older...right now they just enjoy their Christmas celebrations to the MAX....no holds barred!

4 comments:

Those who serve the little dictatrice. said...

Hope you enjoyed a wonderful Christmas! The family photo is really nice.

Anonymous said...

Your children LOOK like such angels in all their pictures---:)

Just kiddng --- they are so sweet.

Anonymous said...

I liked your family pic too.

Anonymous

Anonymous said...

In retrospect, I wish we had arranged ourselves a bit more symetrically...and I wish the back row didn't tower so far above the rest of us! (That is what happens when you let the 6'4" fellas stand up on a really big rock behind everyone else!)

One accidental detail that warms my heart each time I see this photo, though, is little Rivie sitting at full, formal attention just to the side of us. Like she is awaiting her orders! (Or, maybe she is thinking, "Aha! I finally got that wild bunch all herded together into a tight little group. I did GOOD!")