Monday, April 23, 2007

Conversation from the Backseat...

Well, THIS was a turn of events... Normally it is RAYNA who is forever correcting her brother and making him repeat words over and over until his pronunciation meets with her satisfaction, which wouldn't be too bad if SHE actually spoke decent English herself(!), but, as it is, far too often it is yet just another clear instance of the blind leading the blind--no matter how adamant she is in her insistance that she is indeed just the expert to assist her brother. Tonight was a new one for the books, though. I was driving along minding the road, when I became vaguely aware of a rather animated conversation occuring between my two young ones. What really caught my attention, though, was that THIS time around it was DOUG admonishing RAYNA for a mispronunciation....and, in spite of her obvious annoyance, he kept insisting that she say the word in question over and over and over...never satisfied with her attempts. The hilarious thing was that he had caught her in the mispronunciation of "Thank You"...so, here he was EMPHATICALLY saying to her, "No!...'ANK YOU'" To which she would huff in exasperation clearly signaling her thought (That's WHAT I said!!), as she obediently, once more said, "Sank you." He shook his head and started again, "Noooo....."ANK you, Rayna, AAAANNNK you!" This exchange between them continued repeating itself again and again without variation for another ten minutes or so, with Doug growing ever more determined to assist his sister in correcting this problem and Rayna growing ever more huffy at his nerve to say SHE was saying it wrongly!

2 comments:

Mr.Brian said...

I love it. It reminds me of my nursing home days when two old people go on and onabout the same subject but yet are way apart on what they are saying(Not that I am saying your kids are like the old folks in the nursing home).

Anonymous said...

Oh...I don't know! The older we get the more child-like we become once more...so, you can say my children are like some of your more memorable nursing home residents without insulting (or surprising) me at all!