Update on Darcy's Day at Work...
Well, Darcy didn't even make it to lunch time yesterday at "Take Your Child to Work Day" before she had to come home with a high temperature and piercing ear ache. She was devastated to miss out on all that she and her dad had planned for the day (including going out for lunch at Ghengis Khan Mongolian Grill), but she was just way too miserable to stick it out.
Darcy IS a die-hard soccer player, though. She had never missed a practice before today. She was running a temp of 101.2 as we left the doctor's office (in the pouring rain) and was devasted because I wouldn't drive her to soccer practice. Turns out her practice was rained out...so, guess she still hasn't missed one! She is bound and determined to go to her game tomorrow morning (Saturday), but we have told her that if she has any fever at all she isn't going to be going. We'll see how fast those antibiotics kick in!
All three kids have been taking turns passing some icky viruses back and forth between each other the last couple of weeks. I took Darcy into the doctor's today and she has a rip roaring ear infection on top of whatever else is causing her wet cough. I took Doug, in, too, since his cheeks have been scarlet red since he came home from school on Monday. Turns out he has Fifth's Disease. Rayna has seemed to finally kick her wet cough and high fevers. She is so suggestible though, that she was yelling ear ache, too, today...but her ears looked fine (per the doctor). (I suspected as much...she just didn't LOOK like HER pain was real! However, her cheeks look a teensy bit rosy...hope she won't end up with scarlet cheeks.)











7 comments:
oooh I'm sorry that they are not feeling well. I hope you all get lots of rest and have a speedy recovery!
Ugh - a house full of sick children! I hope everyone feels better soon!
I cannot wait for these winter flu bugs to be done with. Eli our 2 year old was terrible sick with an ear infection and congestion all last week. It is miserable!
I will be praying for you - that is SO not fun!! Hang in there - and I DO hope no one else gets this bug!
Poor little monkeys! I hope they feel better soon.
Keep smilin!
S.G. had Fifths Disease a few months ago. Thankfully, it's not such a big deal. Just the rosy cheeks and rashes. I'm sorry to hear about Darcy. I hope she feels better soon.
Thanks, everyone! Actually, it isn't that bad. I did feel awful for Darcy when she was having the piercing ear pain, but it has responded rapidly to simple Amoxicillin. (She is almost twelve years old and I think the last time she was on an antibiotic was when she was two or three years old.) Darcy was over her fever by Saturday morning and raring to play, so, she didn't even have to miss any soccer games over this!
Meanwhile, as Mommy Spice pointed out, Fifths Disease is certainly the ailment of choice to have if you must harbor a virus of some sort!...just gives you scarlet red cheeks and a lacy rash over your neck, trunk and arms (but if you are dark complected, like my son, everything but the scarlet cheeks is practically not visible at all)...and there is no itching or anything...it is just there, but doesn't slow the kid down any. HOWEVER, and this is a big however for us(!), it is dangerous to expose pregnant women to Fifths Disease as it is notorious for causing preterm labor and other severe complications with the pregnancy. Which means, we need to keep our kids away from church until we are sure everyone that is going to get it has gotten it and is past the five to eight day window of contagiousness (a day before the rash/scarlet cheeks appear and five to seven days after it appears). I guess the cheeks/rash can last a month or so...but the child is no longer contagious after the initial week of the rash. (Our church is overflowing with young families and expectant moms...so, we are staying clear of church until we know we won't be spreading Fifths Disease where-ever we go!)
God worked it out well, though...because we missed church last Sunday due to Rayna running a temp, having a wet cough, and feeling generally miserable...and Darcy had a stomach ache (unusual for her) and I had pounding head-ache which had been unrelenting for the previous 24 hours and showed no sign of abaiting any time soon...so, we decided to all stay home rather than half of us go and half us stay (a departure from our normal pattern of handling sickness). This meant that Doug, who didn't seem sick, stayed home. Turns out HE was in his first day of contagiousness with Fifth's Disease. The following day, he left for school looking quite normal but he returned home from school with SCARLET red cheeks.
It was Friday afternoon before he was diagnosed. Meanwhile, on Wednesday, God sent a funnel cloud hurtling our direction, just when we normally would have been getting ready to leave for church (two towns south of here). SO, needless to say, we chose to chill in the basement rather than get out on the highways and go to church. Good thing again! Kept Doug away from all our expectant Mom friends at church! Today, (Sunday) we KNOW what the score is, so we are staying home. This should be DOUG'S last day of contagiousness (tomorrow at the latest).
Yup...Fifth's Disease isn't miserable at all to have EXCEPT for the fact that it is highly contagious and can be very dangerous to unborn children. We have been looking forward to spending the day, Tuesday, with our dear friends in Aurora, MO. (You recall, Tommy, Rayna's boyfriend? If not, see earlier post about our last trip to Aurora!) Anyway, Rayna's cheeks have been looking faintly rosy the last couple of days...just a very becoming hint of blush...but, I am worried that it might be the onset of Fifths Disease...which would mean we would have to cancel our much anticipated road trip to Aurora...and it will break Rayna's heart...and Tommy's older sister, Caroline's heart, too. (May 1st is her birthday and she has been looking forward to us spending it with her.) SO, while Fifth's Disease is the ailment of choice to have (if you must have an ailment!), it still is a BUMMER to have!
Post a Comment