Annika is in surgery NOW...
receiving a liver transplant:
Please pray for my little niece Annika. She is in Chicago's Children's Memorial Hospital in an operating room right now receiving a liver transplant. The surgery will probably last most of the night. You can keep posted on her progress via my little sister's blog. Moreena is posting updates frequently from the waiting room.
Today is Moreena's 38th birthday. Next Thursday will be Annika's 8th birthday. Tomorrow is Annika's little sister, Frankie's, 5th birthday. Please keep them all in your prayers. Annika has such a rough road ahead making it through this surgery and then rebounding back from it. And, it has to be hard for little Frankie to have her birthday with none of her family there to share it with her...she is in Normal, Illinois staying with friends of the family while everyone else is in Chicago.
Thank you for all your prayers in the past. I know many of the friends who read this blog have prayed earnestly for Annika for many, many years now...and have seen her through the first two liver transplants and so many, many, many other surgeries along the way.











6 comments:
My heart is with Annika and her entire family.
Prayers sent up...please keep us posted
Monica, I am up and watching the blog. It's so frustrating to not be there to put my arms around my daughter while she is going through this horrible nightmare. We should have gone on to Normal today instead of waiting--don't know why we did that. When you send Reena encouragement, please let her know that I am following her updates and praying for Annika throughout the night, too. Thanks! (I can't seem to get a comment sent. Don't know what I am doing wrong.)--Mom
I'm praying, and checking out Moreena's blog. That beautiful little girl is a fighter, I know it.
Thank you all.
And, yes, she IS a fighter!
It is such a delicate surgery and she has so many anatomical anomalies with her circulatory system that complicate an already very complicated dangerous surgery...but she is one spunky little girl and she has pulled through so many tough spots in her life already...
Rather than place this as a post right now, I thought I would just paste it here in the comment area...the following is an excerpt from a wonderful e-mail I received from Elisabeth (baby Harbor's mom) tonight:
"Today Harbor was moved out of ICU and downstairs. He laughed twice!! He smiled and laughed until he got hiccups. He is SO CUTE.
He got a new nipple for his bottles, shaped like a pacifier nipple, and he drank 8cc's in the morning and 10cc's later, and then nursed for a while this afternoon before drinking more from the bottle! He still isn't drinking enough to sustain him yet, but he's not freaking out and rejecting it!! Hooray!
They had a big care conference today with about 20 people discussing his issues, and they said the major issue he has currently is his not feeding well. His blood pressure was also mentioned, but not as much. It sounds like if the child will eat well, I can take him home possibly. He LOVED the ride to his new room, and kept looking at the windows going past."
Harbor's dad, my cousin Cliff, donated half of his own liver to save Annika's life six or seven years ago. I know a huge portion of his heart came with the gift of part of his liver as he literally risked his own life in order to save hers. This past month has been especially hard on him as his newborn son's life has hung in the balance at the same time that Annika's own situation has once more become so precarious. It did my heart so much good to hear such an encouraging update on little Harbor tonight. And now it is Anni's turn...
Post a Comment