Monday, November 10, 2008

The Freezing Garage Sale
and Spiral Staircase:

Saturday morning found us rolling out of bed at 4am to make a run up to Kansas City. My friend, Lisa, had hired my oldest to run her garage sale. Darcy was thrilled to be given this responsibility and handled it quite professionally. ...but, it was FREEZING cold! A few days earlier it had been in the 70's, but Saturday it was in the 30's. We could SEE OUR BREATH it was so cold! Which, isn't exactly conducive to a successful garage sale. I mean, who in their right mind goes cruising garage sales when their body is in SHOCK at the sudden appearance of full blown winter?

None-the-less, Darcy was able to move the really big items (ie either large space consuming or expensive). Meanwhile, I spent the day laying the groundwork for teaching Ransom to climb ladders and scale walls! Lisa's home has a REALLY SCARY steep, narrow, tightly wrapped spiral staircase...imagine the pole in a firehouse and you pretty much have her spiral staircase! The opening going down is about the size of the "manhole" leading down a firepole and the stairs are small, flat triangular pieces that are about three inches wide at the point where they connect to the pole and maybe 12 inches(?) wide at their widest point! The stairway is bordered by narrow metal rods which are wide enough for a full grown shepherd to fall right through (not to mention the wide open space between each step--wide enough for a shepherd to nearly slip through if a step is missed). There is no reassuring wall anywhere near. (This is not evident in the photo--but, the nearest wall is actually several feet from the spiral staircase.) When a DOG goes down this staircase, it is nearly standing on it's HEAD (SEE THE PHOTO OF GABBY DESCENDING AND YOU WILL SEE WHAT I MEAN!). When a DOG goes up the staircase, it is practically standing on its hind legs all the way. Really, it is much akin to climbing a ladder, except that the dog also has to wind their body tightly around as it is is climbing or descending (otherwise it will shoot right out between those thin metal rods and fly out into open space). Physically it is CHALLENGING for a dog to navigate. VISUALLY it is TERRIFYING! Frankly, it really IS dangerous. Add to that the fact that Ranson had never even seen a NORMAL flight of steps before Saturday and you have an idea of how CHALLENGING learning to use the spiral staircase was for her. It was hilarious the first time she went down the regular staircase...it reminded me of Gabby's STEALTH CRAWL! She got her center of balance as low as it could possibly go! Too funny! But, by her second time up and down the regular flight of steps, she was taking them ninety to nothing like a regular dog. But the spiral staircase....WHOA....THAT terrified Ransom (and she is not easily rattled!). In fact, I've NEVER seen her terrified before...but that terrified her. However, by the end of the day, she had it mastered! She was coming up and down the spiral staircase independently! I don't have photos of RANSOM doing the stairs (didn't have my camera with me by the time SHE was doing it), but I do have some photos of her sister Gabby doing the stairs (just to let you see the steepness in relation to the dogs). The stairs are AT Gabby's house...so, she zips up and down them like no one's business!



Ransom and Gabby spend all their time together happily CHEWING on each other!

9 comments:

Lisa said...

Hey Monica...I love the action photos you got!! I hope Darcy was not traumatized by the friged cold..hopefully she is thawed out by now....nobody else besides you guys would drive 2.5 hours away to fight the elements to come help us...thank you!!

Nadine said...

Those are some stairs. I guess you get use to them.

Your daughter looks cold. It is amazing that it doesn't matter what the weather is, people who go to garage sales are serious about it.

Mic said...

Lisa, we had a blast! Thank you for letting me use your scary spiral staircase to train Ransom on! I think she is ready to graduate up to ladders and walls, now, no problem!!! Got that whole "fear of heights" thing nipped in the bud!

Polar Bear said...

What a trooper Darcy is for helping in that cold!!

I'm AMAZED you got Ransom up and down those stairs!! I'm afraid of spiral staircases! Very impressed!!

C's Mom said...

I'm sorry...I can't get much beyond '4AM' and 'cold'. Ewwww. I'm a wimp.

The steps do look like a challenge. I wouldn't want to try after a cocktail.

Anonymous said...

Fortunately, we didn't let Ransom have any cocktails before she traipsed up and down the stairs(!)...but, that DOES remind me of a funny story I could tell on Ransom's mother (Violet). When SHE was this age, she got into some antifreeze and snarfed it down, to Lisa's utter HORROR...know what the treatment was? Being force-fed Ever Clear (which is what? 98% proof alcohol?!) every couple of hours around the clock until the antifreeze had time to work it's way through her system (something about the alcohol keeping the antifreeze from being absorbed into the liver?)...anyway, VIOLET was staggering DRUNK for a couple of days there!...tongue hanging goofily out the side of her mouth... Fortunately for Lisa, she was a very HAPPY drunk dog (not an aggresive drunk dog!)! The good news was she did terrific and didn't suffer any ill effects from the anti-freeze.

Lexie said...

Love the pictures! The staircase is awesome! Though it does look like it could be dangerous!
Thank you for all of the sweet comments that you are always leaving me!
Lexie

Kim said...

Brrr garage sales in the cold is for the true of heart deal catchers. Darcy is a sweetie! We have lots of thrift shops here so its like one big garage sale year round and no freezing but we do have garage sales in the summer and they are fun too. Very competitive though, they take it very seriously here. I'd never seen a LINE to get inside a garage sale until I moved here...when the door started going up this elderly lady almost did the limbo trying to be the first to get in...it was hilarious!

The stairs remind me of the stairs we had in Germany but ours were made of marble and when you slipped on them and cracked a knee...yee-owww! Leaves a mark.

How has Gram been? I haven't heard from her lately on her blog, tell her that she is missed.

Have a great week!

Virginia said...

I don't think I'm ready for Winter cold yet. You have a beautiful family and that "puppy" is adorable! Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog the other day.

Gin =)