Monday, November 17, 2008

I Can't Get Him to Eat Vegetables Unless I Hide Them Under Peanut Butter
-or-
Need Referral to PB Annonymous:

Remember Rocky and Bullwinkle and how they would always offer a choice of two titles! Well, I'm in that sort of mood today!

My husband has a peanut butter addiction, but he hides it in celery! Nearly every night I find him in bed with a HUGE stalk of celery crammed FULL to overflowing with PEANUT BUTTER as he happily watches the O'Reilly Factor. He always seems very pleased with himself over his choice of snack, telling me, "It's HEALTHY." Yeah...right...HALF A JAR of PEANUT BUTTER ladened into one poor stalk of celery! (Well, actually it is always a HU-NORMOUS stalk of celery...don't know where he finds such LONG, wide celery stalks!) He tells me that celery is one of those negative calorie foods (takes more calories to digest than it contains), but what he won't admit is that that doesn't really count when you shovel half the jar of peanut butter onto it first! (Oh...and his latest remark, "Celery is so FILLING," was even funnier! No! The half a jar of PEANUT BUTTER you put into the celery is filling!)

And don't be fooled by the picture...USUALLY he has the peanut butter MOUNDED on his celery, but he knew I had written this post and would be on the look-out for his next stalk of celery to photograph! He begged me not to take this picture...but, I'm a little persistent once I pick up the camera (just ask Darcy!)...

All of which brings me to what prompted this post to begin with... Grant asked me to poll our readers and see if ANYONE ELSE out there has ever tasted Dr. Brown's Cel-ray Soda...and, if so, what did you think about it?




Even though my husband has lately professed such a love of celery (yeah, right!), his opinion of Dr. Brown's celery pop is that it tastes just like a newly mown lawn. (Actually, he IS dead-on there! That is EXACTLY what it tastes like. Beats me how they can stay in business bottling that stuff!)

Update: my husband, upon reading this post begs to differ. He insists he does NOT have a peanut butter addiction (denial, a sure sign!)...he says, "I don't eat the celery FOR the peanut butter. It's just that the peanut butter helps me eat the celery." (I think he thinks eating celery is equivalent to eating real VEGETABLES, which he avoids like the plague. And, therefore, eating celery is a new found virtue in his life! Maybe if I coat broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, asparagus, etc in peanut butter, I might be able to get him to eat them, too!)


So, back to the original question....Have you ever tried celery soda pop?...and, if so, what did YOU think about it?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't tried celery soda pop (I doubt we even stock it in Australia), but that's okay because I have a husband who detests celery. When I make freshly squeezed juice he will not drink it if I sneak in celery (he insists he can tell and that even one little stalk ruins the whole drink).

Regarding PB... well I don't mind it on celery or even carrot sticks, but hands-down the best PB combo is with chocolate ice-cream! (Baskin-Robbins peanut butter and chocolate is my number one pick!)

Anonymous said...

Your PB combo sounds great, Emma! I have to admit that I can hardly eat a banana without a good dose of PB spread over it...or a Hershey's chocolate bar or Hershey kisses...

C's Mom said...

I'm moving right ahead to the obvious...tell me about the time you ate newly mowed lawn :0)

Celery soda is just wrong on so many levels...lawn or not.

Anonymous said...

well, since you exaggerated about the celery(that looks like a normal piece to me)you may have exaggerated about the peanut butter?

Regina said...

I don't think that I would spend money on Celery Soda. That just sounds gross!!
If you could just get him to admit he has a problem, that is the first step to recovery. However, then what veggies will he eat?? By the sounds of it...if the PB goes--so does the veggies. LOL

Sabrina said...

Does it really taste like celery? That is very scary! ewwww!

Anonymous said...

"Overflowing with peanut butter"??? The photo doesn't seem to support that statement. Since most people can't eat a salad without topping it with dressing, it seems this combination of celery and peanut butter would be just as healthy by comparison. And it must be working, just look at the photo of your husband, he seems so much thinner in that picture than photos in earlier posts. Give the poor guy a break. He sounds like a saint to me.

kerri said...

Celery pop, yikes, no thank you, ewww, LOL!!
My kids love celery and PB, cream cheese or their all time fave, cheese whiz and raisins on top(ants on a log).

Middle-Aged Moi said...

I think "anonymous" might be related to you. By marriage. :-)

And no, I haven't tried CELERY pop. That's disgusting.

Melissa said...

Monica,

I am so glad that you stopped by Sunbonnet Cottage, that way it gave me a chance to meet you.

I love your blog. My husband has a thing for peanut butter too. His favorite is to put it on Wasa Crackers. Actually, it's not bad that way.

We must visit again soon. You have a very creative blog.

Melissa

Kim said...

eeewwww celery pop gag me...I'm with Grant, peanut butter IS healthy and is often given a very bad rap because it is a high fat food but it is GOOD fat if eaten in moderation (which is indeed the question here) It is a very satisfying snack too and if a smidge of peanut butter prevents wolfing down an entire carton of ice cream or something much less healthy - why not? I like putting a big wallop of peanut butter into my oatmeal...mmmmm mmmmmmm

Anonymous said...

I agree with Janet...I have a sneaking suspicion I am MARRIED to anonymous!

And, Pipo, you don't have to eat a newly mown lawn to know what it tastes like! Really! If you don't believe me, just take a big swig of Cel-Ray soda and you too, will instantly think, "It tastes just like a newly mown lawn!"

And, no, Sabrina, it does NOT taste like celery. Celery I could swallow! But this stuff tastes like grass clippings that have been run through the blender a time or two!

Emma, if adding a stick of celery to your fresh squeezed juice adds a taste anywhere similar to Cel-ray pop, then I have to side TOTALLY with your husband!!!

Kim, don't give him too much encouragement!!! He's already hard enough to redirect!!!

Regina, you hit the nail right on the head!!!

Okay, Jan, you ALWAYS side with your brother, so your comment doesn't count!!!

Kerri, I've never tried celery and cream cheese...actually that sounds pretty good!

Melissa, I'm glad to be meeting you here in the cybersphere! I absolutely love your home's interior!

Anonymous said...

And, yes, Sabrina, it is scary...VERY SCARY!!!

Julie said...

Hmmm, celery soda pop? Ewww.
My husband likes peanut butter and CHEESE sandwiches which I find utterly revolting! In his celery he like globs of cheese whiz ... ick! Personally, I like my celery with ... um ... more celery?!Or dip maybe. Yeah, dip. Ranch dip.

Thanks for the technical help!!
Julie