Bitten by the Bookworm
The older the kids get, the fewer and farer between 'firsts' are...but, yesterday was a first for Rayna. I noticed she was engrossed in an unfamiliar book silently READING it to herself (not just flipping through looking at the pictures! She has become quite fond of books this year, but this is the first time I have seen her actually READING a book that has never previously been read to her all by herself without someone at her side listening in and assisting her if she got hung up on a word. She has been reading books out loud for a long time now and has been silently re-reading books she has already read aloud with help, but this was the first time I noticed her picking up an unfamiliar book and just getting completely absorbed silently reading it to herself without anyone to cue her. It was "Dogerella"...a doggie version of Cinderella!
This morning I picked that same book out to have her read aloud to me (she reads a book aloud to me each morning after she has gotten ready for school). She was able to read it without much assistance at all, even though it had some challenging words in it.
It is so neat when you see an independent love of reading begin to take root in your child! Two down, one to go...we still have Doug to get over that hurdle.











No comments:
Post a Comment