We Have a HIGH-SCHOOLER Now!
Darcy had her eighth grade graduation, Thursday morning. It was a nice ceremony...and, amazingly enough(!), our daughter actually wore a DRESS!
Darcy and a friend had gone dress shopping together months ago in preparation for graduation. Darcy had told me this particular friend (not one she normally hangs out with after school) had suggested she help Darcy pick out a dress since she had better fashion sense than Darcy! I drove Darcy and Jadyn to Springfield where they met up with the more fashion-knowledged friend and the three girls ditched the family to go off in search of THE perfect dress for Darcy. In pretty short order, they had found one that all three of them agreed upon and excitedly called Grant and I (and the little kids) to come see it. Grant and I were a bit more dubious in their choice than the three girls were...but, Darcy had her heart set on THAT specific dress and she had already gotten the saleslady to give her a 75% discount because the dress had a tiny little stain in the back. She was sure it would come out easily enough and she really pressed the fact that the dress was such a good deal, to overcome her mother's skepticism over the appropriateness of the style. (She never did overcome her father's skepticism...but he finally gave in, anyway, with the concession from her that she would find a sweater or shrug to cover her bare shoulders.) Come graduation day, though, I saw that she knew exactly what she was doing...her dress fit in well with the style the majority of the girls were wearing.
True to form, though, the child was OUT OF HER DRESS AND BACK INTO GYMN SHORTS and a CRUMPLED T-SHIRT and flip flops before we had even left the ceremony! After the ceremony, we went out into the foyer to claim our daughter, but couldn't find her. While looking for my own daughter, I got countless snapshots of other kids looking all spiffy.
Turns out, my daughter had made a beeline straight for the bathroom to change out of her dress! Here I was planning on getting a post-graduation picture of her, but the first time I saw her after the ceremony ended, there the little rat was already back in her gym shorts and wrinkled T-shirt! So frustrating and disappointing and TYPICAL!!!
I got some wonderful pictures of Darcy's friends in their formal wear standing next to their parents. I got wonderful pictures of my bosses' kid in his new suit and freshly cut hair (afro no more!). I got pictures of our church friends meeting back up with their sharp looking kids...but do we have one single picture of our beautiful daughter in her dress post graduation? Nope! Just snapshots of her looking like she had just crawled out of bed or left the gym!
At least she looked radiant and beautifully put together during the ceremony!!!
(Darcy during her eighth grade graduation looking lovely and immediately afterwards...the only one of all her classmates looking all casual and summer ready, I guess!)Darcy and two of her friends spent the rest of the afternoon hanging out together at the park...











No comments:
Post a Comment