Today
I received this e-mail from Doug's teacher today:
If you didn't understand what Doug was telling you today, I used your blog to enrich our reading lesson. We read The Three Snow Bears by Jan Brett (The 3 bears set in Alaska). The part about the sledding reminded me of your blog so I showed the pictures of you and Ransom and Lisa and the one of you sledding. The kids loved it!! Thank you so much, again, for sharing! It added a wonderful text to self connection for Doug (he was very proud showing the pictures of you) and for the other kids as well.
Also, the book we're reading for our quilt project this month is about a little boy who was adopted (from what looks to be China). Doug didn't get to hear the story yesterday but I read it to him this morning and then we re-read it this afternoon because another student was absent yesterday as well. When I finished reading it this afternoon Doug said, "That's my story!" and then went on to tell about being adopted from Tawaiin. In this story the little boy is sad and scared on the plane ride and the kids asked Doug if he was scared. He said, "No. I happy" with a big grin on his face! It was the most precious thing!! Days like this (okay, not everything that happened today---but these moments) are why I love teaching!!
Again, thanks for helping to enrich our classroom today.
Verna
And, Miss Darcy has managed to go through at least two more profile photos (on facebook) since I last blogged...

Meanwhile, Rayna is working hard for a gold-cup competition that she will be participating in at SBU next month. She has to play four songs on the piano--two hymns and two other pieces from memory. Participants play for a judge and can earn up to five points in each of the two divisions. Participants accumulate points over the years and once they earn 15 points in either of the divisions, they receive a gold cup trophy. It takes at least three years to earn a gold cup and often more than three years.











No comments:
Post a Comment